Hi! This is Christian of the Annabelle + Christian duo 😀
We’ve gotten such great responses from our Airbnb guests and we wanted to say thanks for making our Airbnb hosting experience so wonderful! We love traveling too. In fact, we’re on our own travel adventures! We’re podcasting about our experience so please subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, or Stitcher. Search for “Swept Together Podcast”, or you can listen straight from this website! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and you can check out what we’re up to on our RV adventure!
We’ve stayed at many different Airbnbs over the years and love talking to the hosts about their recommendations on what to do, where to eat and drink, and it’s great to hear locals who know their way around!
We hope that this guide serves that purpose while we’re away and that it gives you some great ideas on what to do while you’re visiting our lovely city. There’s so much to do here in Denver that we couldn’t possibly fit all of it here, but we think this is a good start. Most of these places are geared towards answering, “What’s around us?” Some places are farther away, but generally speaking a lot of the places here are in or near our home and neighborhood.
We hope you have a lovely stay here at our home!
❤ Annabelle + Christian❤
Places to Eat
- Chada Thai — hands down the best Thai place we’ve ever eaten at, and we’ve eaten at Thai places all around the country. It’s also two blocks away!
- Syrup City Park — great breakfast/brunch place. Get a waffle or pancakes and then their cinnamon apple butter — get there early because they run out of it!
- Nocturne Jazz & Supper Club — our friends, Nicole and Scott Mattson, own this fantastic, upscale venue. Great music, DELICIOUS food! Most people make this their “fancy night” out!
- WaterCourse Foods — vegan comfort food!
- Stoney’s Uptown Joint — all the bar food and comfort food you can eat! Delicious wings, nachos, and fried Brussels sprouts!
- Sushi Bay 17 — a wonderful little sushi restaurant. In the warmer months, there is a patio area where you can people watch on 17th Ave!
- Humboldt — great fresh foods. Try their gluten free Crispy Broccoli appetizer. Delicious!
- Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox — former Denver brothel, owned by a really weird/hilarious guy named Justin Cucci, and it has great atmosphere and great food!
- Denver Milk Market — A cool, upscale, open-seating cafeteria in the heart of downtown Denver where you can get anything from small appetizer plates to share with friends, steak & seafood, pizza, or Chinese bao. There’s literally something here for everyone! I recommend “The Lou’s” at Lou’s!
- Pho & Bar — walking distance to the house and oh so delicious! We recommend the Vietnamese Pork Egg Roll (one of our favorites). And of course, the Pho!
- Dos Santos Tacos — It’s Tacos! What more can you ask for?!
- Pepper Asian Bistro — an excellent place for Chinese, Thai, and Japanese food all in under one roof!
- Denver Biscuit Co on Colfax — Freshly baked buttermilk biscuits with all the fixin’s for your sweet or savory appetite. Make sure to choose the menu for their location on Colfax (which is the closest one to the house).
Places to Drink
- Improper City — this is our newest favorite coffee shop, beer garden, food truck park, and ultra-cool place to work from in the RiNo arts district (if you’re into that kind of thing on your vacay). Right next door is an enormous bouldering gym called Movement Climbing and Fitness RiNo if you feel like sweating it out for a bit.
- Thin Man — our neighborhood bar with a cool lounge-y atmosphere, two minutes walk from the house.
- Barcelona Wine Bar — so so SO delicious tapas! This place just opened a few months ago and we recommend calling ahead for a reservation. We made reservations for 5 PM on a Saturday night and it was packed! Their tapas are to die for and we are the kind of people who love Spanish tapas. Well worth it and not terribly expensive as tapas go.
- Epic Brewing Company — great brewery in a trendy part of the city (RiNo)
- Infinite Monkey Theorem — an urban winery! Really cool space and vibe. Wine served in cans!
Delicious Junk Food (calories don’t count while on vacation!)
- Voodoo Doughnuts — pink boxes, lines out the door, fun (and sometimes bizarre) donut flavors! Cash only, but they have an ATM in the store.
- Pete’s Kitchen — great late night diner food for after the party. Gets really busy at 2 AM!! Good people watching too!
- Biker Jim’s Gourmet Dogs — hot dogs by a guy named Biker Jim. Do you really need to know more? Don’t expect anything to be healthy, do expect everything to be delicious!
- Bourbon Grill — grilled chicken with rice and teriyaki-bourbon sauce. Total dive spot but super delicious!
- Two Fisted Mario’s Pizza — if you’re in downtown and you’re craving a late-night slice of pizza, come here!
- Illegal Pete’s — kind of like Qdoba or Chipotle, but cooler!
- Liks Ice Cream — a tiny little ice cream shop with home made ice cream and waffle cones dipped in chocolate!
- High Level Health Dispensary — 5-10 min walk from the house
- The Colfax Potshop — 10-15 min walk and right next door to Voodoo Doughnuts
- Weedmaps — like Yelp!, but for marijuana.
Places to Hike
- Matthews/Winters Trail — easier hike, very doable, can be as long of a hike as you want (out-and-back hike).
- Dakota Ridge — near Matthews/Winters, more difficult but fantastic views of the Denver area, near Red Rocks amphitheater.
- Flatirons Vista — hiking trail near the city of Boulder; we’ve never done it but have lots of friends who have and have told us it’s amazing.
- The Manitou Incline — very challenging hike. 2,000 feet of elevation gain in a mile! Gorgeous views of Colorado Springs at the top, simply amazing!
- Waterton Canyon Trail — gentle hike through a canyon where Big Horn Sheep hang out.
Art and History in Denver (call ahead due to possible COVID restrictions)
- Denver Graffiti Tour — Some of the art around our home are prints of photographs from our very own RiNo Arts district about 1 mile and a half away. Our friends, Erin and James host a walking tour that is just fabulous. You MUST go!
- Colorado Capitol Building Tour — tours are Monday to Friday on the hour from 10AM to 3PM.
- The Denver Art Museum — one of our favorites! Check out their website for their exhibits that change seasonally.
- Colorado History Museum — learn more about how Colorado grew up!
- Denver Museum of Nature & Science — kid (and adult) friendly exhibits, lots of interactive exhibits and is a short walk from the house!
- Denver Botanic Gardens — for the plant lovers, a short 15 minute walk from the house, also right next to Cheesman Park (one the many parks we have here in Denver).
Parks to Visit
- Red Rocks — cool area, great views, and THE Colorado concert venue to visit.
- City Park — the largest park in the city of Denver AND it’s right next door to us! Lots of people play and picnic here and, in the summer, Jazz in the Park on Sunday evenings is not to be missed!
- Washington Park (aka Wash Park) — another beautiful park a short bike ride away.
- Cheesman Park — this is a wonderful park and is such a special place for us. I told Annabelle that I loved her at this park for the first time, and we also got engaged here. PS, it’s also haunted, NBD.
- Civic Center Park — lots of activity here on the weekend! It’s nestled right in between the State Capitol and Denver City Hall.
- Rocky Mountain National Park — it’s a couple of hours away by car so if you want to go, you should definitely have a car since there’s not another easier way to get there!
- Denver Terrors Ghost Tour — A walking tour of the most haunted places in Denver. It starts at the Capitol Building and walks you through the some of the most haunted Denver locations!
Getting Around Denver
- Bird or Lime electric scooters — download either app, look for the nearest scooter, then ride! These are the latest ride shares here in Denver and EVERYONE loves them. They’re super fun, cheap to use, and who doesn’t love riding around in electric scooters!?!
- Jump Bikes — electric, pedal-assist bikes that are super fun. We tried these things and they make you feel like you’re not even pedaling!! So much fun!
- Lyft or Uber — It’s about $7 do get to downtown (bars/clubs/restaurants/Coors Field)